Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Musing: "Weak Become Heroes"/"Stay Positive"


then the girl in the cafe taps me on the shoulder
i realize 5 years went by and i'm older
memories smoulder, winter's colder
but that same piano loops over and over


I heard this song at work today, and I flashed back hardcore to 7 months ago. Winter break, '06/'07. Walking my dog in the freezing cold, looking at the neighbors' houses, which looked emptier than they ever did when I was 15. Driving my parents' Sebring around, a newish car on the same old streets, driving back from Silvano's house or Georgetown or wherever. I actually started to feel cold again.

I never think of this song in terms of the story it's telling - hard drugs aren't really something I can relate to - but rather just the way it makes me feel; the emotion and nostalgia and triumphant feeling it can give. It's a chill-cool song, something you can dance to or sit in a bar and drink to or lay on your bed and relax to. This past winter, it was something I walked and drove to.

I remember so many nights when I'd go out after dark - which I guess was around 5:30, but it feels later in my memory - walking my dog around, wishing it would snow, thinking about people at school, and sizing my life up. Getting home and deciding to do the loop one more time because I wanted a little more time to listen to this song and think about shit. Driving back from the movie theatre at Potomac Mills or a party at Brian's. Driving home from Steve's house, thinking about all the memories I've made in that house, and wondering how many more I'll have.

---

cos' you're the same as i am
we all need our fellow man, we all need our samaritan
maybe i'm better looking than you though
maybe i've got more dough
but am I happier? no
get the love of a good girl
and your world will be much richer than my world
and your happiness will uncurl


Here's a song I more explicitly listened to. Not just the vibe, not just the feelings, but every single word. It was an emo-tastic winter break, yeah. This song was somewhat cathartic. It was around the fourth or fifth night of staying up til 6am thinking about school that I finally discovered it.

It was a nice reminder that everything in life has ups and downs. No matter how you feel tomorrow, you could feel better tomorrow. Or worse, for that matter. But somehow, this song just reminded me of something I'd lost sight of somewhere along the line: everything in life works itself out, one way or another. I couldn't see how it would happen then, but somehow, I felt better about life. Just believe that and act on the assumption that everything will work out, and it usually does. Don't believe it, act with the assumption that things don't work out, and they probably won't.

respect to bc. positivity. positivity. just trying to stay positive.

DOWNLOAD: The Streets - Weak Become Heroes
DOWNLOAD: The Streets - Stay Positive

No comments: