Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Advance Review - Ryan Adams' "Easy Tiger"

I got a really good heart / I just can't catch a break / If I could I would treat you like you want me to / I promise

I'm sitting on the couch at 2am waiting for the new Hanson album to continue downloading, and so it's time to talk about my new candy that I got today: Ryan Adams's new album.

After releasing 3 albums in 2005 and 11 albums worth of mostly-joke material on his website last year, this was an unexpected project, and from the ears of a Ryan Adams fan, a much-appreciated one.

Easy Tiger has Adams continuing to work within the alt-country mode he has so eloquently dominated with Gold (one of my all time favorite albums), Heartbreaker, Demolition, and more. And like many a Ryan Adams album, it truly gets better with each listen.

It starts out pretty damn strong, though. "Goodnight Rose" rollicks into "Two," the masterpiece of the album. It's a slow, sweet song, one I always struggle to get past, but by the time I reach the rock of "Halloweenhead," I'm glad I did.

The lyrics are focused and simple. The music isn't breaking new ground, but continues to subtly twist the country genre to fit Adams's alternative leanings. It's not the freshest album of the year, but it's one of the best. If you're already a fan, you're probably picking it up regardless of how I feel. If you're not, you need to listen to Gold, get over your pretensions, listen to it again, and then give this a chance. You won't regret it.

Download: Ryan Adams - Two

No comments: