Friday, June 8, 2007

Today's News That I Care About (and you should too)

I would say today's music news was dominated by Paris Hilton's triumphant return to prison, but we all know she doesn't make music. I'd bet those cries of "help, mom!" were about as melodic as she gets.

---

Common's in the midst of finishing up his new album, which has me totally psyched, because I love every second of Be. Plus, he gets some help from my favorite little British girl, Lily Allen, who sings the hook on one of the songs. Common claims to have some songwriting inspiration from his recent film work, which has him focusing more on the characters in his rhymes.

Which leads me to the trailer for American Gangster, a movie I'm immeasurably psyched for, in part because Common appears to be wearing...exactly what he always wears. Costuming and casting departments went balls-out with that one.

But seriously, it's got Denzel and Russell Crowe, as well as Chiwetel Ejiofor and Common, and it's directed by Ridley Scott. It'll be awesome.

---

Andre 3000's set to play Sammy Davis, Jr. in a biopic. I guess this is the 4th Sammy Davis, Jr. biopic currently in production? Overkill? Maybe?

---

Biopics in general are in overkill. Off the top of my head, there are the 4 about SD, Jr.; there's Control about Joy Division's Ian Curtis; there's the James Brown biopic with Spike Lee, the two Janis Joplin biopics with Renee Zellweger and Zooey Deschanel, the Debbie Harry biopic with Kirsten Dunst, and a recently greenlit Mamas And The Papas biopic (really? we really need a Mamas And The Papas biopic?). And I'm sure there are many more I'm not thinking of.

God damn you, Ray and Walk The Line. This is getting worse than comic book movies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.