Tuesday, June 19, 2007

List: Car Music for Twentysomethings

Since the Third Eye Blind concert, I've been listening to their self-titled debut a lot. Which got me thinking the other day: Third Eye Blind is an album that, if you put on in a car full of like-minded twentysomethings, you'll find everyone bobbing their heads and joyously singing along to. What else would do that?

So here's a list of what I think -- off the top of my head -- are the five best CD's to have in your car if you're a twentysomething. The five best songs to joyously sing along to with your friends (note: joyously. nobody will ever joyously sing along to Nirvana, or Pearl Jam, or Smashing Pumpkins, great as they are). Put these on when your friends hop in, and as long as they're not too pretentious and above mid-90's radio, you'll make a happy fucking car.

[EDIT: It was pointed out to me that I missed DMB. So DMB knocks Matchbox 20's "Yourself or Someone Like You," which was a questionable decision, off the list. Sorry, Rob. Dave wins the battle of the mimic-able voices.]

---


Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind, 1997

The one that got me thinking of it in the first place. With five singles that hit the Billboard Charts, this band was inescapable. If you lived in America, you knew "Semi-Charmed Life," you knew "Jumper," you knew the rest. One of the best car ride albums I've heard.

---


Sublime - Sublime, 1996

This was an odd choice, because it's a long album with really only a few key tracks that you'll skip to over and over. You'll definitely discover that yes, you know most of the lyrics (or at least what you thought he was saying) to "What I Got," "Santeria," and "Wrong Way." Chances are, you or your friends know "Pawn Shop," "Caress Me Down," and "Doin' Time" also.

---


Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill, 1995

One of only three albums to remain in the billboard top 10 for over a year; the 13th-best selling album of all time. And you know why? Because you know every word. You'll make fun of how god damned angry she is, you'll laugh at her misinterpretation of the word "Ironic," and you'll love every second.

---


Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming, 1994

Um, how did I miss this when I was first making the list? Who doesn't love singing like that drunkie Dave Matthews, the crazy lyrics of "What Would You Say," the and generally, the album that made Dave the phenomenon he became. This is, for most of the album, as upbeat as Dave gets. If you're listening to these albums on an all-day road trip, this is the one you save for nightfall.

---


Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View, 1994

C'mon. You knew it'd be here. And you know when you put it on, the only thing that might stop people from singing along to every single song will be the occasional comment: "I totally thought the guy's name was Hootie."




Disagree? Think I missed something? Have a memory of long drives to other albums? Please, share, I'd love to hear about it.

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

I definitely loved your choices, if only because they're so iconic to our childhood/adolecense (sp?)

Personally, I'm a big fan of classic stuff when I drive-- the Beatles, Oldies, Doo-wop, etc. But I know that's just a personal thing.

Anyway, I'm bored at Pardee. Just thought I'd say hi :)

Jackson said...

Yeah, man, if anyone put on a Dave Matthews album or a Hootie album, I'd be out in the damn cold. It's not like I missed our middle and high school years, I'm just pretty sure Green Day's Dookie, Barenaked Ladie's Stunt, and Goo-Goo Doll's Dizzy Up The Girl would make my list. But Alanis is a great call (though I do wonder a bit if men our age know it that well, those that weren't raised by single or progressive mothers)

b.digs said...

I didn't think of Dookie or Dizzy when making the list, but I regret not having Dookie on there. Dizzy Up The Girl would be close, but the songs everyone would know are ballads (except perhaps Broadway), and I was shooting for more upbeat albums.

I thought about Stunt, but ultimately, I don't think many people know the words to much more than "One Week" and perhaps "It's All Been Done." It only really had one true hit, though, so I didn't see it as being far-reaching enough to make the list. Definitely not above Dave Matthews, who's unquestionably more popular in our age bracket.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Merely came back here to advise you about Mobile Monopoly. It is a superb technique and WILL make you money, especially seeing as you own a web site. Take a quick look at their video, the strategy is about using Mobile Advertising which is fresh and an unexposed market where you can make thousands by doing hardly any work. I assure you that after you watch their short video it will change you and it will start making you think. http://mobile-mastermind.com